As the result of a challenging 14 year long term care experience and a solid background in marketing and adult education, Karen founded the Long Term Care Planning Network, Canada's leading on and off-line resource centre for aging and long term care planning.
Karen has developed a thorough understanding of long-term care and what advisors and their clients need to know about this life challenge that faces every one of us.
The conclusion: Long term care planning needs to be a component of every Canadian’s retirement plan.
All professional advisors are looking at aging client bases. As a result Karen has been called upon to work with thousands of advisors, consultants and their clients across Canada to help them understand the implications of aging and long term care on all aspects of financial, insurance and estate planning
She knows that women in particular need to pay attention to long term care planning for the obvious reasons - they live longer and often end up alone. Women tend to put others before themselves and end up becoming caregivers for frail parents or ill spouses. This can result in a drop-out from the work force for a few months or many years, resulting in lost wages, pension and career opportunities.
Karen has also learned that wealth does not make one immune to having a dysfunctional family, to the consequences of poor family communication nor to the emotional chaos of caring or being cared for.
Karen is now a well-known speaker, writer, media commentator, publisher and educator in the field of long term care who has been published in leading geriatric journals in Canada. She has spoken across Canada and in the US to a wide variety of organizations from hospitals to law firms.
Her web sites, newsletters, seminars and care tools are recognized internationally as key educational tools for Canadians.
In March 2008 Karen launched the AdvisorWise© Care Planning Program, a collection of resources which provide both advisor and client care planning education.
Her knowledge and expertise are adding value to organizations to help them achieve their financial goals and to help them retain their valued clients by providing critical added-value services and support about one of life’s most critical processes.
- Advocis Newfoundland & Labrador 57th Annual Sales Congress - St. John's, NL
- Manulife 2007 Solutions Conference – Montreal, QC
- CIFPs 5th Anniversary National Conference – Calgary, AB
- Corporate Planning Associates – Toronto, ON
- Mackenzie Financial Regional Conferences - Blue Mountain, ON, Whistler, BC and Mt. Tremblant, QC
- Money Concepts Regional Conference - Halifax, NS
- Mackenzie Financial Regional Conference - Blue Mountain, ON
- TE Financial Consultants Ltd Advisor Update - Toronto, ON
- Desjardins Financial Security Life & Health Seminars - Toronto, ON
- AXA Inaugural Critical Illness and Long Term Care School - Collingwood, ON
- National Sunlife Advisor Education Tour - Summer 2005
- Canadian Association of Pre-Retirement Planners (CAPP) National Conference - Saskatoon, SK
- The CIFPs Annual National Conference 2005 - Niagara Falls, ON
- Manulife Financial Advisor Seminar - Calgary, AB
- The 3rd Annual World Critical Illness Conference - Toronto, ON
- Investors Group Advisor Seminars - Guelph, Burlington, Hamilton ON
- Peel Institute of Applied Finance Western Tour/Toronto Summit - Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto
- Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (IFBC) Annual Summit - Toronto, ON
- Advocis Annual Advanced Financial Planning Conference - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
- Eldercare Planning Counselor (EPC) Designation Course - Toronto/ Vancouver/Halifax/London/Calgary
- Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management Ltd. Client Seminars - Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Kelowna/Victoria
- Ontario Long Term Care Association Annual Conference - Toronto, ON
- The Gerry and Nancy Pencer Brain Tumor Centre Annual Open House - Toronto, ON
- The Canadian Palliative Care Association National Conference 2001 - Victoria, BC
- American Society on Aging Conference - Vancouver, BC
- Ontario Gerontology Association Annual Conference - Toronto, ON
- Homewood Behavior Health: Employee Assistance Program: EAP Spring Training - Guelph, ON
- Alzheimer Society of Peterborough and Area - Peterborough, ON
- The MS Society - Toronto, ON
- Calgary Regional Health Authority Caregiver Celebration - Calgary, AB
- Hospice of Waterloo Region Annual General Meeting - Kitchener, ON
- Certified General Accountants Public Practitioners’ Convention 2006 – Toronto, ON
- BDO Dunwoody Employee Eldercare Session – Mississauga, ON
- Canadian Bar Association National Elder Law Section: Planning for Later Life – Toronto, ON
- Total Balance Women’s Show – Hamilton, ON
- Borden Ladner Gervais - Toronto, ON
- Alzheimer's Disease: Understanding, Caring & Coping. the Weizmann Institute - Toronto, ON
- Caring for Seniors in the 21st Century Conference - Ottawa, ON
- The Ontario Legislature (series of 4) - Toronto, ON
- Queen's University Lecture Series on Aging - Kingston, ON
- McMillan Binch Law Firm - Toronto, ON
- Janssen-Ortho Inc. Dementia Workshop - Toronto, ON
- First Nations Case Management Training Program - McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
- Central Park Lodges Regional Annual Conference - Orillia, ON
- Canadian Military Family Resource Centre - Peterson AFB - Colorado Springs, CO
- St. Agnes Medical Centre Fourth Annual Nursing Summit - Fresno, California
- South Dakota Conference on Aging - Pierre, South Dakota
- The Well Spouse Foundation 2000 Annual Meeting - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- The Parkinson Foundation of Oregon - Portland, Oregon
- Easter Seals Conference for Caregivers/Professionals - Rapid City, South Dakota
- The National MS Society - New York City, New York